Re: kernel-source versus kernel-patch

* Ismael Valladolid Torres (ismael@sambara.org) [030714 11:00]:
> Hi,
>
> The description of the kernel-source-2.4.21 package says "Linux kernel
> source for version 2.4.21 with Debian patches". But, there is another
> package called kernel-patch-debian-2.4.21 whose description says "Debian
> patches to Linux 2.4.21". Bizarrely enough, this second package suggests
> the first one.

I can see how that is confusing.

> Do I have the Debian patches installing only kernel-source, or must I
> also install kernel-patch-debian? By the way, what are those Debian
> patches useful for?

Debian's kernel-source package does include the debian patches.  The
description of kernel-patch-debian-2.4.21 says it should be applied to
"pristine" kernel source, meaning an unpatched tarball from kernel.org.

As for what goes in to said patches, have a look at README.Debian in the
kernel source directory.  Lots of bugfixes, documentation corrections,
and non-free bits removed.

good times,
Vineet
--