kernel-source versus kernel-patch

Hi,

The description of the kernel-source-2.4.21 package says "Linux kernel source for version 2.4.21 with Debian patches". But, there is another package called kernel-patch-debian-2.4.21 whose description says "Debian patches to Linux 2.4.21". Bizarrely enough, this second package suggests the first one.

Do I have the Debian patches installing only kernel-source, or must I also install kernel-patch-debian? By the way, what are those Debian patches useful for?

Regards, Ismael