No space left on device

 Hi,

 When trying to compile some code, I got the following error:

cpp0: /tmp/ccFJJwQN.ii: No space left on device

 I then realized that /tmp is mounted on my root partition, which was
full:

#df -h
/dev/hda3             463M  440M  1.0k 100% /
/dev/hda5              37G  2.5G   32G   8% /usr

# df -ih
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda3               120k     20k    100k   17% /
/dev/hda5               4.7M    149k    4.5M    4% /usr

 Now, I realize that this a very bad partition scheme but I'm just a
newbie. When I was installing debian a few months ago, I didn't intend to
have this scheme. I wanted root to be mounted as '/' and everything else
under '/usr' since thats the bigger partition. Unfortunately, most of
everything is mounted under '/'. I wonder where I went wrong...

 Can I change this situation, without re-formatting/re-partitioning? Or,
atleast for now, which files can I safely delete to free-up some space?

 Thanks ... salman

Intelligent Servosystems Lab
University of Maryland