Re: No space left on device

Hello

Salman Haq wrote:

>  When trying to compile some code, I got the following error:
>
> cpp0: /tmp/ccFJJwQN.ii: No space left on device
>
>  I then realized that /tmp is mounted on my root partition, which was
> full:
>
> #df -h
> /dev/hda3             463M  440M  1.0k 100% /
> /dev/hda5              37G  2.5G   32G   8% /usr
>
> # df -ih
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hda3               120k     20k    100k   17% /
> /dev/hda5               4.7M    149k    4.5M    4% /usr
>
>  Now, I realize that this a very bad partition scheme but I'm just a
> newbie. When I was installing debian a few months ago, I didn't intend
> to have this scheme. I wanted root to be mounted as '/' and everything
> else under '/usr' since thats the bigger partition. Unfortunately, most
> of everything is mounted under '/'. I wonder where I went wrong...

A good place to look for files to delete is probably
/var/cache/apt/archives where apt saves downloaded packages. If you
installed a lot of security updates all these packages will be in that
directory. You can safeley delete them from hard disk (although saving
them on cdrom or moving them somewhere else might be a good idea so you
don't have to download them again in case you want to reinstall).

If you have plenty of RAM, you can also use tmpfs to mount the tmp
directory in your RAM.

You could maybe also try to reduce the size of your /dev/hda5 partition,
make a new partition behind /dev/hda5 and mount that as /var.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen