Re: Recommend site for debian lan topology

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003, Stephen Patterson wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:30:28 +0200, lists1 wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a non-registration site that clearly explains what
> > services normally run on a small company lan?  Say 25-100 users or so.
>
> > OpenLdap is for...same?
> > Bind for dns
> > DHCP/static
> > NTP
> > Samba for windows file/print
> > What else?
>
> I'm surprised you've missed out email, many people here would suggest
> exim as an SMTP server, and you'd need courier/cyrus for IMAP and/or
> POP3 mailboxes (unless you can cope with an NFS exported mail spool
> and all your clients are linux).

You *might* want to look into a web based email system as well.
Squirrelmail/Courier-Imap is a combo I've used before, and its done
very well by me.  That way, you have one centralized email backup, and
you only have to worry about one email app (Squirrelmail) instead of
many.

Other unusual ideas include a Jabber server, for secure, local IMs.

Back to the relm of the mundane, have you thought about:

Squid 	 	- www proxy.
Ftp	 	- insecure, but it has its uses.
Spamassassin 	- tag spamlike messages [ I recommend redoing the
			header and adding a 'PROBABLE SPAM:' tag to
			the subject, instead of deleting.]
VNC/rDesktop	- Not really a 'service', but something you might want
			running on a few or all of the machines.
Antivirus	- If you are receiving outside email, and your users
			can download it to a win32 platform, you need
			an antivirus solution.  The AV companies usually
			sell a (pricy) large company edition, which
			is set up as a server/client system - one
			machine grabs all the updates, and distributes
			them to the rest.  You might need a win32
			machine to run the server, but it could be worth
			it.  Else, if you are on a budget, you could try
			proxying virus updates through squid, but you
			will not get centralized reporting that way.
			I cannot say it often enough:  If you are using
			windows, you need AV on each machine.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night