Re: Recommend site for debian lan topology

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:30:28 +0200, lists1 wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a non-registration site that clearly explains what
> services normally run on a small company lan?  Say 25-100 users or so.

Running services is usually a matter of what you need, I've put some
links at the end.

> I'm trying to figure out exactly what I should be targeting my study toward.
> NIS is for authenticating users/passwords, right?

NIS is for coordinating user IDs and usernames/passwords across a
network so that NFS tracks file permissions and ownership correctly
across multiple computers.

> NFS for gnu/linux file/print

NFS is file only.

> OpenLdap is for...same?
> Bind for dns
> DHCP/static
> NTP
> Samba for windows file/print

If you've got linux clients wanting to print, I'd add in cups or
lprng.

> What else?

I'm surprised you've missed out email, many people here would suggest
exim as an SMTP server, and you'd need courier/cyrus for IMAP and/or
POP3 mailboxes (unless you can cope with an NFS exported mail spool
and all your clients are linux).

Useful Sites

The Linux Networking Overview HOWTO, especially sections 6 & 7
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html

--
Stephen Patterson http://www.lexx.uklinux.net http://patter.mine.nu
steve@SPAM.lexx.uklinux.net  remove SPAM to reply