Re: X lockups

On Tue, July 08 at  7:35 AM EDT
Bradley Alexander <storm@tux.org> wrote:

>I am really starting to suspect Gnome. I am not a Gnome fan, but it has
>sort of infiltrated my desktop, through the use of apps like Galeon,
>Evolution etc.
>
>I dist-upgraded last night, left the system running with two eterms,
>evo and dvdrip windows open. Got up this morning and clicked evo's
>send/received and the Xserver reset itself.

I may have missed part of this thread, but is there any useful info in
~/.xsession-errors after a lockup?  What about /var/log/xdm.log and/or
/var/log/XFree86 ?

>Anybody know any best practices for getting rid of gnome?

Before you go to all that trouble why install a lightweight
Window Manager like blackbox or even twm and run that for a day and see
if you still lockup.  You can just start your programs from an xterm if
you can't launch them from applets/menus.

HTH

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0