Re: OT: CPU Speed and Temperature

 --- "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> escribió:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 11:39:21PM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> > I have manage to figure out that by messing with the chipset settings
> > in the BIOS I can change the speed of the CPU's opertation.  I.e.,
> > setting a speed of 166 MHz comes up in the POST as a FSB of 333 MHz
> > and the CPU is detected as an Athlon XP 2500+.  If I up it to 200 MHz,
> > it show 400 MHz FSB and Athlon XP 3200+ in the POST.  Anyhow, if I run
> > at the rated 333 MHz FSB, it occasionally locks up.  I have installed
> > a Zalman CPU fan with a copper heatsink and two 80mm Antec case fans
> > (1 front, 1 rear, 34 CFM each).
>
> The real question is how well the Zalman is cooling your CPU and whether
> the motherboard you have is rated for that CPU and whether your memory
> is good/compatible.

The mobo is rated for a 3200+ @ 400 MHz FSB and so is the Zalman.
Memory _should_ be good too, it's brand new.

> The BIOS should have some display of the CPU temp in one of it's
> options.  If you leave the FSB at 333 and leave the system idling on the
> BIOS display of the CPU temp, how hot do the system get after 30 minutes
> to an hour (assuming it doesn't lockup).

To begin with, I checked out Biostar's website and saw that they had an update
for the BIOS.  I downloaded it and flashed the BIOS, then rechecked all the
settings.  I set it to 2500+ @ 333MHz FSB and let it sit for an hour, the
temp got to about 48-49 C.  I then upped it to 3200+ @ 333 MHz FSB and the
temp remained the same.  I should also not that my wife and I keep the house
warm, at about 28-28 C.

> Now, assuming that the system didn't lockup in the above test, have you
> run the memory through a complete Memtest cycle (or two)?

Haven't run the memtest yet, but the RAM is brand new.

> If the above two pass (no lockup), then more information will be needed
> regarding how and when it locks up.

It appears to have cleared up.  After flashing the BIOS I recompiled the
kernel with ACPI.  I then let the machine idle all night (logged into X)
and the temp was about 46 C when I got up this morning (I used 'acpi -t').

On a related note, I installed procmeter3 but it seems to be reporting
incorrect data.  when 'acpi -t' reports 46 C, 'procmeter3 ACPI.Thermal1-t'
shows the temperature at only 32 C.  Why the disrepancy?

> --
> Jamin W. Collins

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS