Re: OT: CPU Speed and Temperature

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

 I have recently purchased a new machine (Athlon XP 2500+ w/ 333MHz
 FSB, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9000 Pro).

 I have manage to figure out that by messing with the chipset settings
 in the BIOS I can change the speed of the CPU's opertation. I.e.,
 setting a speed of 166 MHz comes up in the POST as a FSB of 333 MHz
 and the CPU is detected as an Athlon XP 2500+. If I up it to 200
 MHz, it show 400 MHz FSB and Athlon XP 3200+ in the POST. Anyhow, if
 I run at the rated 333 MHz FSB, it occasionally locks up. I have
 installed a Zalman CPU fan with a copper heatsink and two 80mm Antec
 case fans (1 front, 1 rear, 34 CFM each).

 What is the deal? Am I missing something? Please forgive my
 ignorance but I don't have much experience with modern hardware, the
 last time I custom built a machine was 7 years ago. I also have no
 experience with AMD processors. I would like ot resolve this since
 once I can get Sid running well I plan to install Gentoo on another
 partition, and I will need to be able to run the processor with a
 high load for that.

 -Roberto Sanchez

Welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking. You increased CPU and FSB setings and made the machine run faster. Which specific settings did you futz with? Did you increase the CPU core voltage to the point where it overheats and locks up?
Are you using generic high latency RAM that can't handle the high FSB?

Last time I checked, Zalmans were designed for quiet (some models are fanless IIRC) operation. Is your Zalman CPU cooler up to snuff when it comes to cooling
and overlocked processor? Then again, they make alot of different models.

I think it's best that you Google and look for info on overclocking CPUs, if you want to go that route. . Also go over to Tom's Hardware Guide (www.tomshardware.com) and look up his everything-you-need-to-know-about-a-BIOS article. You'll find it most helpful.

I prefer stability and quiet operation myself. I'ts bad enough I have to listen to a siren (for 16 hours on a double shift) at work,
much less something that sounds like a 1940's model Hoover under my desk.