Re: How to shutup syslog [SOLVED]

I'd like to thank people who helped me with this on and offlist, and also note
two sources that describe this problem and solutions to it.  They are both really
good documents.

The Securing Debian Manual at FAQ 11.1.11 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch11.en.html
describes how to fix the problem temporarily with dmesg -n or permanently by
altering startup files.

The Debian Reference gives the same advice at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s8.6.8

I've tried it out, and it seems to work.

Note that higher level numbers are for *less* serious warnings, and that the dmesg
man page is slightly confused on this point (or at least confusing).