Re: need help with NFS setup

On Mon, June 23 at  5:11 PM EDT
Paul E Condon <pecondon@peakpeak.com> wrote:

> I copy exports, hosts.allow, and hosts.deny from the old
> server to the new, and restart the daemons. Then I attempt
> to mount newserver:/home from the working client.
>
> I get an error message:
>
> pecondon@big:~$ mount /cmn
> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive
>
> What does this mean? And how do I fix it?

There may be different packages needed if you aren't used to woody.  I
am on unstable and here are the ones I used:
ii  nfs-common     1.0.3-1        NFS support files common to client and
serve
ii  nfs-user-serve 2.2beta47-15   User space NFS server.

Maybe you installed nfs-kernel-server instead and the kernel isn't
configured for it?  I used nfs-user-server and setup was trivial as you
describe above.  I'll assume you can ping each other, by hostname?

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0