Re: Knoppix

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:17:02PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Just tried Knoppix 3.2Beta. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Liteline laptop
> with a 500Mhz AMD-K6-III, 60Mb RAM, trident cyberblade i7/DSTN 4Mb RAM
> with 800x600 TFT, 5Gb harddisk and touchpad. Just so you know...
>
> I'm impressed by the look of it and am pretty sure that it runs fine on
> a typical desktop, BUT
>
> My screen is shifted three pixels right. Under Debian, I can't do better
> without using the framebuffer. My mouse doesn't work unless I specify
> 'wheelmouse' which results in my mouse pointer flashing over the screen
> and clicking when I don't even touch buttons. Never had this in Debian,
> unless I just had booted into windows. Hard poweroff always fixed this,
> but not with Knoppix.
>
> Furthermore: D*MN, so sloooooooooooow. Luckily, I don't _have_ to use
> KDE.
>
> The thing is, that with my mouse problem, it's not useable, :-(
>
> Frankly, I'm a bit dissapointed. I'm afraid I expected Knoppix to
> autodetect everything. Probably it almost does, but I'm not seeing it.
> Maybe if I had had many problems with Debian I might be impressed with
> what Knoppix _does_ autodetect (USB, although nothing attached, PCMCIA
> ethernet)...
>
> Don't get me wrong: they did a marvelous job... I'm sorry it doesn't
> work that well on my machine.

Hi group,

First of all, apologies to everyone (especially the Knoppix developers)
for the previous post...

The disc works more than fine on a laptop of a fellow student. It is
much faster, autodetects everything and Knoppix just looks fantastic. To
be honest, I'm a bit jealous about the fonts used in Mozilla and
OpenOffice.org (how on earth did they do that?) and the KDE theme looks
very neat! Of course, a cdrom is slow, but my hardware is just, well,
crappy, I guess...

I've learned more than a few things from this mailing list, and one of
the best is that I will compare linux compatibility instead of prices
next time I buy hardware, :-)

David

PS: If someone can answer the fonts question or tell me to RTFM or check
the archives, please do...