Re: installing mouse

If you really get nowhere with your mouse, before you abandon debian you could try using Knoppix (a debian based distrobution) from http://www.knoppix.net/ especially if you are happy to download a CD image ~600MB. If not, you may as well ignore the rest of this email.

You can run Knoppix completely from CD (i.e. it doesn't write anything to your hard drive) and it also has hardware detection so it should pick up most/all of your hardwar, particularly your mouse.

If your mouse works under Knoppix it will work with Debian, just take a look at the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 when running Knoppix. Somewhere in there will be a 'Section InputDevice' line followed by some info about how your mouse is setup.

For an example, here is a snippet from my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"
       Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
       Option          "Device" "/dev/psaux"
       Option          "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

Unless you have a logitec wheel mouse, you may have slightly different values for the Options, most noticably you need to know which protocol is being used.

If you find several of these sections, look at the begining of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and it will tell you which one is actually being used.

Hope this helps.
Johnny.

Re: installing mouse