need help with NFS setup

I am attempting to setup a replacement for a server that
I have had running for a couple of years. Eventually, the
replacement will have "wonderful new features", but for
now I am haveing trouble merely getting a minimal NFS
working. The old system was potato, the new is woody. I
have a client host that is woody and works with the old
potato server. All software is current debian packages.

I copy exports, hosts.allow, and hosts.deny from the old
server to the new, and restart the daemons. Then I attempt
to mount newserver:/home from the working client.

I get an error message:

pecondon@big:~$ mount /cmn
mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

What does this mean? And how do I fix it?

TIA

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com