Re: DNS: configure bind9 to resolve only a certain IP-range

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 06:50:46PM +0200, Hans Wilmer wrote:
> Having that zone, it seems to override anything that?s between
> 193.158.67.0 and 193.158.67.255. This is what one would expect --- but
> it?s not what I need.
>
> What I need is a way to restrict the above zone to *only* the IPs
> listed in the zone file, i. e. to the range of our own addresses. How
> can I do that?

What you describe is known as classless in-addr.arpa. delegations, and
is described in RFC 2317.  If you haven't already read it, it's probably
a good idea to do so.  It will give you a good idea of exactly how it is
that reverse delegations on non-octet-boundaries work.

Also install bind9-doc, which includes the BIND Administrator's
Reference Manual (/usr/share/doc/bind9-doc/arm/).  Read that.

Basically, you don't want to set up a zone for 67.158.193.in-addr.arpa
in named.conf, but rather for something like
64-71.67.158.193.in-addr.arpa.

Googling for "bind classless in-addr.arpa" and related strings will
likely answer your questions.  If not, asking for help in
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains might help.

noah