Re: DNS: configure bind9 to resolve only a certain IP-range

Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:

how can I configure bind9 so that it would (reverse-)resolve a certain
range of IP-addresses only within a zone?

I´ve been browsing through some documentations, but I couldn´t find any
option or something like that to tell bind that it is responsible for a
designated range of addresses only. Is this even possible?

If you configure a zone to be authoratitive on a name server it will
override any zones that are on the outside network.  In otherwords, if you
configure a zone called yahoo.com and in the hosts file put www.yahoo.com
to point to 192.168.1.80 then it will override the www.yahoo.com most
people get to.  Master Zones override Hint Zones in other words.

Well, ok, but how does this help to solve the problem? The nameserver is and should be authoritative for our designated range of IP-addresses, but not for others. What´s the usual way to tell it so?

Setting the reverse-lookup zone from type master to type hint didn´t help.

GH