Re: DNS: configure bind9 to resolve only a certain IP-range

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Hans Wilmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can I configure bind9 so that it would (reverse-)resolve a certain
> range of IP-addresses only within a zone?
>
> We´ve got a consecutive range of IPs for our permanent internet-connection
> (a.b.c.64 to a.b.c.71), and I want our nameserver to resolve those
> addresses from its local zone files while still being able to
> (reverse-)resolve all addresses outside of our own range. For example, a
>
>    ´dig -x a.b.c.1´
>
> should give appropriate results, and
>
>    ´dig -x a.b.c.65´
>
> should work also, giving as result what I´ve configured.
>
> I´ve been browsing through some documentations, but I couldn´t find any
> option or something like that to tell bind that it is responsible for a
> designated range of addresses only. Is this even possible?
>
> Eventually, I could circumvent the problem by specifying a zone file for
> each address that is in our range, but that would be a very ugly solution.
>
> However, this must be kind of a common problem; but how is it solved?
>

> PS: You can query the nameserver in question @193.158.67.67.
>
> GH

If you configure a zone to be authoratitive on a name server it will
override any zones that are on the outside network.  In otherwords, if you
configure a zone called yahoo.com and in the hosts file put www.yahoo.com
to point to 192.168.1.80 then it will override the www.yahoo.com most
people get to.  Master Zones override Hint Zones in other words.

--
Arthur H. Johnson II, arthur@usol.com
AIM:  bytor4232