Re: Installing linux inside linux?

on Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 10:23:45AM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker (jjk3@msstate.edu) wrote:
> I've heard of several methods of installing Debian within an already
> running Debian install on the same partition.
>
> - Bochs: an emulator, does this recreate a system worthy of a debian
>   install? or will emulator-specific problems arise?

The primary issue is performance.  Bochs is a hardware-in-software
emulator.  The useful feature is that you can run a virtual x86 box on
any platform -- x86, MIPS, zSeries, whatever.  The downside is it's
slow.  Really, really slow.  An order of magnitude or more slower than a
nonvirtual system.

For a reasonable alternative (commercial/proprietary), consider VMWare.
This is system virtualization, not emulation,  It runs acceptably on
600MHz and better systems.  An installation allows you to create as many
virtual systems as you have disk storage for, and you can run several
(generally 2-4) at a time, limited by memory.

Both bochs and VMWare give you a fully autonomous system running on the
host machine, with a fully autonomous hardware complement apparent to
any applications running within the guest system.

> - chroot: what's a chroot?

"Change root directory".  A chroot shell is a shell running with its own
root directory as some subdirectory of the system root.  This is most
useful for either running apps in some compatibility mode (usually
libraries) within a host environment, or for installations (which I've
used it for extensively).

A chroot environment uses the host system's kernel, and can interact
with the host system in several ways, some of which might not be
acceptable from a security perspective ("escaping the jail").

> - UML: patch for kernel? I don't want to recompile my kernel

You don't have to, it's a ready-made Debian package, as previously
described.

> Are there any other ways of doing this I'm not aware of?

Probably ;-)

> I have 1 hard drive with a windows partition, and one each of /, /boot,
> and scratch partitions, running Woody on the linux side.

...and you want to do...?

> Thanks in advance.

Peace.