Re: Installing linux inside linux?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:10:04 +0200, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> The primary issue is performance.  Bochs is a hardware-in-software
> emulator.  The useful feature is that you can run a virtual x86 box on
> any platform -- x86, MIPS, zSeries, whatever.  The downside is it's
> slow. Really, really slow.  An order of magnitude or more slower than a
> nonvirtual system.

Several orders of magnitude in my experience. I tried QBasic's demo game
"Nibbles" once, which worked fine on my i486 (50 MHz?), and probably even
on slower systems. Bochs on Duron750 can't even remotely cope with it :-)

> For a reasonable alternative (commercial/proprietary), consider VMWare.
> This is system virtualization, not emulation,  It runs acceptably on
> 600MHz and better systems.  An installation allows you to create as many
> virtual systems as you have disk storage for, and you can run several
> (generally 2-4) at a time, limited by memory.

Or try Bochs+Plex86. That's limited to i386, but it should be
significantly faster than pure Bochs. (vmware is probably still faster...)

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!