Installing linux inside linux?

I've heard of several methods of installing Debian within an already running Debian install on the same partition.

- Bochs: an emulator, does this recreate a system worthy of a debian install? or will emulator-specific problems arise?

- chroot: what's a chroot?

- UML: patch for kernel? I don't want to recompile my kernel

Are there any other ways of doing this I'm not aware of?

I have 1 hard drive with a windows partition, and one each of /, /boot, and scratch partitions, running Woody on the linux side.

Thanks in advance.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]