Re: debian

* alex (radsky@ncia.net) [030620 07:35]:
> Debian is an excellent system once you have it running. It's too bad
> that it gets a bad name simply because the trouble people have with
> its installation.

Well, what do you want to do with your system?  Install an OS on it, or
run an OS on it?

Most reviewers seem to believe that users want a system that installs
easily.  They run the installer, review it, and call it a review of the
distribution.  A review of a debian system that doesn't even mention the
installer would be, IMO, apt (pun intended), since, as others have said,
you don't need to install it more than once.  You install it once, and
run it forever.  It might be fair to compare the difference between
reinstalling redhat 7.3 over redhat 7.2 versus upgrading from potato to
woody via apt, giving fair credit to the amount of downtime and
stability of each system.

Anyone who thinks it's hard to install debian should try installing
redhat on pa-risc or sparc!  (It's not difficult -- it's impossible!
(AFAIK))

good times,
Vineet
--