Re: debian

I have just installed Debian on an i386 box.  an old 200mmx machine.  It
took me a few tries to get the install correct.

What I discovered is this:  slow down and read everything even if you have
read it before.  There are so many options that you can choose from, so many
menus to look through and so many selections to make that its difficult to
keep them all in your head.  I ended up writing down all the hardware I had
to play with.  serial numbers model numbers etc. looked them up on the net,
once armed with that info I did some research on the TLDP it took some time,
but in the long run I was able to run through the install and got it right.
I asked one friend about partitioning he told me how he did his, I was not
able to find a lot on partitioning philosophy.  once things were set I
started the install.

being armed with the hardware specifics:  the install went almost too
smoothly.  infact so smoothly I feel as if I have missed something.   am
still waiting to hear that other shoe drop. but for now this system is
working better, faster and more stable than any I repeat any os I have ever
worked on.    winbloze 1.1, 3.1, 95, 98, 98se, NT, 2000, XP, OS/VS MVS 4+ ,
system 370, 360, VAX, HP PDP 11's, 85XX, ibm 43XX ES9X, hp100 3000...

had I only known....  I would have changed to linux so many dollars ago.....

in truth,   I have as much or more trouble installing all of the bloze
systems. this linux install went way to well comparatively.

Granted im new to linux/Debian but Im here to stay.

Thanks for this forum btw, its helping with other tuning issues etc.

Mike