C programming: Is there an exec (with no additional letters) call?

  I was told that similar to execl, execlp et al there is also an exec
call. Yet when I run

    man exec

I only get execl, execlp, execle, execv and execvp. No `pure' exec, one
without any additional letters. Can I safely tell that person that he is
definitely confusing the C system calls with shell or another
interpreted language? If not, what arguments does exec takes, what is
the return code and where is it documented?
--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t