Re: C programming: Is there an exec (with no additional letters) call?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:29:25PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
>   I was told that similar to execl, execlp et al there is also an exec
> call. Yet when I run
>
>     man exec
>
> I only get execl, execlp, execle, execv and execvp. No `pure' exec, one
> without any additional letters. Can I safely tell that person that he is
> definitely confusing the C system calls with shell or another
> interpreted language? If not, what arguments does exec takes, what is
> the return code and where is it documented?

As I interpret that man page, exec without any additional letters is
simply a generic term for the family of functions mentioned above. So
one might loosely refer to "an exec" meaning whichever one of execl,
execlp, etc is appropriate for the task in hand.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons