Re: Good Open Source Web Development software

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 11:42, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:10:45AM -0400, lists1 wrote:
> > It works heavily toward w3c standard compliant code (and if you
> > look at the top 100 sites, I doubt 10% of them are 100% standards
> > compliant, and if you have 100% standards compliant, you'll be
> > excluding over 90% of the browser users on the internet).
>
> No you wouldn't, because all the browsers out can decently render a
> 100% compliant page.  I've yet to find a browser that can't.

I'm afraid this is not the case Paul. IE is not always able to render
fully compliant pages, in a decent way.

IE on Windows does not support CSS completely. Even IE 6 does not
support CSS 1.

About 3 months ago, I asked on this list, about how to develop a good
personal web site (something similar to the current tread). I got
plenty of usefull advice, and in the end, I decided to heavily use CSS
on my web site. Cause it really looks great.

The end result is amazing. I didn't know that I could achive so much by
using CSS. The problem is, IE does not show the pages, as it should. My
site is fully W3C compliant. I have used Tidy on it, and also checked
it with validator. So I thought I won't have browser compatibility
problems. I was wrong, I later found out, that IE does not fully
support CSS, so it is handling my web site in a really bad way.

Interestingly, IE 5 for Mac seems to support CSS 1 fully. IE 5 on Mac
does a good job of rendering my pages (comparable to khtml and gecko
based browsers). IE 5 for Mac OS X also suport PNG transparency,
something that IE 6 on Windows lacks.

To sum it up, yes, it is possible to easily design a fully W3C compliant
web page, which IE is not able to handle correctly. Two years ago, I
would have ignored this problem, arguing that many people are using NS.
But, nowadays, how can I convice myself to ignore 90% ?

Cheers
--
/*  There's some good left in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth
fighting for."