Re: Good Open Source Web Development software

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:15:13PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2003 11:42, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:10:45AM -0400, lists1 wrote:
> > > It works heavily toward w3c standard compliant code (and if you
> > > look at the top 100 sites, I doubt 10% of them are 100% standards
> > > compliant, and if you have 100% standards compliant, you'll be
> > > excluding over 90% of the browser users on the internet).
> >
> > No you wouldn't, because all the browsers out can decently render a
> > 100% compliant page.  I've yet to find a browser that can't.
>
> I'm afraid this is not the case Paul. IE is not always able to render
> fully compliant pages, in a decent way.

I still agree with Paul. Just because IE isn't able to render CSS
correctly it does not mean that just by using CSS you are excluding "90%
of the browser users on the internet."

There are a number of things you can do to make sure your pages are both
compliant and usable:
1) Read up on CSS browser support:
http://www.css-stuff.com/browser_bugs.html
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/css1/mastergrid.html

2) Look at *your* traffic. I doubt that most people on this list are
concerned with The Whole Internet. Sure thecounter.com suggests that
virtually everyone uses IE:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/browser.php
But dig a little deeper and you'll start seeing a different picture.
Webreference.com, a "techie" site already shows a drop in IE numbers
compared to The Whole Internet:
http://www.webreference.com/stats/browser.html

I personally would rather write to the standards instead of changing
things every few weeks as new versions of buggy browsers are released.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]