Re: Missing virtual desktops and open-new-session in gnome

On 5 Jun 2003 Ronald Capel <b.fly.spam.1@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> About two weeks ago I upgraded testing and I saw that quite some gnome
> packages were upgraded. Unfortunately I'm now missing 2 things:
>
> - The gnome desk guide applet only shows 1 desktop, instead of 4. I cannot
> find anything wrong in the applet' settings nor can I find anything about
> virtual desktops in the gnome control centre. Any idea's what happend
> and/or how to restore it?

Are you now running Gnome 2? In Gnome 2 the Control Centre has indeed no
facility to set the number of virtual desktops. You must use a panel menu to
add a 'desktop switcher' (suppose that is the same as the 'desk guide
applet') to a panel, if there isn't already one. That 'desktop switcher'
allows you to set the number of desktops as well as how to show them on the
panel.

> - The menu-item "new gnome login" (or something like that) which opened a
> second gnome session at tty8 is gone. Can anybody tell me what command is
> for that menu-item?

Never seen that one. But never installed *all* of Gnome.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands