Re: Evolution segmentation faulting on me now

On 5 Jun 2003 Jason Self <karrottop@fuse.net> wrote:

> The nearest I can tell all of this mess started yesterday when I did an
> apt-get upgrade and an apt-get dist-upgrade.  But for some reason
> whenever I try launch Ximian Evolution I get the following message and a
> gui segfault warning:
>
> (Evolution:1008): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> so in an effort to work with some advice that I had gotten I tried to do
> a locale-gen, that worked but didn't fix anything and then a
> dpkg-reconfigure locale.  It ran me through all the questions that I
> answered as best I could (I just found out what a locale is today and
> still didnt really understand my selections) and made sure to select C
> when it asked me.

Let me first admit I also still do not know all there is to know about
locales, but I am pretty sure that:
- installing locales and running locale-gen only make the locales of your
  choice available on your system;
- which locale will be used is determined by the values of the LANG and LC_*
  environment variables;
- some programs have trouble with certain locales, or with all locales
  other than C, but C should always work.

So try
  export LANG=C LC_ALL=C
in your .xsession and/or .bash_profile and see if the problem persists.
If it does I have no immediate clue about what to do next. Maybe upgrade
Gdk and/or the C library.

If it turns out Evolution only wants to run with the C locale while your
first choice is the locale corresponding to your own language, then you
can set LANG and LC_ALL to the latter locale as default for your sessions
and still use Evolution and other programs that only understand the C locale
by changing the environment to their liking when starting them. This is done
by prefixing the command to start them with an env statement, like so:
  env LANG=C LC_ALL=C <command to start program that only understands C>

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands