Missing virtual desktops and open-new-session in gnome

About two weeks ago I upgraded testing and I saw that quite some gnome
packages were upgraded. Unfortunately I'm now missing 2 things:

- The gnome desk guide applet only shows 1 desktop, instead of 4. I
cannot find anything wrong in the applet' settings nor can I find
anything about virtual desktops in the gnome control centre. Any idea's
what happend and/or how to restore it?

- The menu-item "new gnome login" (or something like that) which opened
a second gnome session at tty8 is gone. Can anybody tell me what command
is for that menu-item?

No big problems fortunately, still I would be happy if somebody could
help me.

Thanks,

Ronald