Re: Problem Booting After Install

> Second, unless there's some reason you enjoy getting beat up by lilo, use
> grub:

Hmm, makes me wonder why they use lilo in the installation program for
Debian.

Anyway,  I'm trying to follow the instructions on the page you linked me
too.  I was able to create a boot floppy but I couldn't get it to boot
anything.

The first step, fdformat /dev/fd0, worked ok.  However, the next step
didn't, mjfs -t msdos /dev/fd0.  I got the error message, mkfs.msdos: No
such file or directory.  It then occurred to me that I already have a number
of msdos formatted floppies.  I grabbed one a went onto the next step.

The next few steps are:
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy worked.
mkdir -p /floppy/boot/grub
cp /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/stage* /floppy/boot/grub
grub
grub> root (fd0)
grub> setup (fd0)
grub> quit

These all worked fine.  I then rebooted.  The grub boot loader came up and
displayed a prompt and did nothing else.  I typed help read through info
about a number of options and commands and tried a few.  For everything it
typed I got vague error messages about the command not being correct or
invalid or something like that.  What do I from here?

Once I get this figured out and working I assume I can setup the hard drive
the same way by using these commands. right?
grub
grub> root (hdb)
grub> setup (hdb)
grub> quit