Re: Problem Booting After Install

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2003 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: Problem Booting After Install

> >>I don't know.  Whatever the default is that comes with the 3.0 r1
> >>distribution.
> >>

> Almost certainly, well, certainly, lilo.

> >>I didn't configure it.  It said it would automatically setup Debian as
> >>the default os.  It asked if I wanted to setup other os's but I
> >>selected no.
> >>

> This is where you'll want to start looking: /etc/lilo.conf. After it's
> configured properly, re-run "lilo".
>
> Basically, you'll need a stanza (group of lines) for each OS you want to
> boot. There should be a couple of examples within the file itself to
> give you a fair idea of what's needed. You might want to post it to the
> list for other eyes to take a look at.

Accuse my ignorance but how can I edit the configuration file if Debian
won't bootup?

> >>First partition on my second hd.  I didn't create a swap partition.
> >>

> Unless you have oodles of RAM (like 1GB or so), you probably want a swap
> partition. Even with oodles of RAM, I'd still keep a swap partition
> around if I had the drive space for it. But that's just me.
>
> I would suspect that grub will become the standard boot loader in the
> future. lilo has been the standard, but grub has a lot more capability,
> especially when it comes to repairing misconfigured boot loader setups.
> If you don't have success with lilo after a try or two, you might want
> to give up on learning the ins and outs of lilo and spend your
> educational brain cells on grub instead. Then again, you might not.

Ok, although I have no idea how I would go about changing this since the
install program doesn't appear to give me the option to use a different boot
loader.  Is there a windows program that would install the boot loader?

Thanks,
Scott MacMaster