Re: Problem Booting After Install

Scott MacMaster wrote:

If you use the boot floppy and go into the selection process, try
pressing Alt-F2 and see if you get to a login prompt. If so, login, and
give us the results of:

df -h

FileSystem     Size     Used     Avail    Use%     on
/dev/hdb1      14G      73M      13G      1%

Also, at this point, you should be able to run "nano /etc/lilo.conf" to
edit the lilo.conf file.

I was able to view the contents of lilo.conf.  Here are the contents (minus
the comments).

lba32
boot=/dev/hdb1
root=/dev/hdb1
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
      label=Linux
      read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
      label=LinuxOLD
      read-only
      optional

Any thoughts on how to get this to work?

OK, that looks good. I don't have the history of this thread in front of me, but if I remember correctly, when you try booting off the hard drive without the rescue floppy, you get a bunch of numbers across the screen.

In that case, it looks like you may just need to rerun lilo to reinstall is in your mbr. Just run "lilo" and you should see a message like "Added Linux*". Then reboot ("shutdown -r now") and hopefully all will be well.

--
Kent