Re: Problem Booting After Install

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: Problem Booting After Install

> Scott MacMaster wrote:
>
> >>If you use the boot floppy and go into the selection process, try
> >>pressing Alt-F2 and see if you get to a login prompt. If so, login, and
> >>give us the results of:
> >>
> >>df -h
> >>

> >FileSystem     Size     Used     Avail    Use%     on
> >/dev/hdb1      14G      73M      13G      1%
> >

> >>Also, at this point, you should be able to run "nano /etc/lilo.conf" to
> >>edit the lilo.conf file.
> >>

> >I was able to view the contents of lilo.conf.  Here are the contents
(minus
> >the comments).
> >
> >lba32
> >boot=/dev/hdb1
> >root=/dev/hdb1
> >install=/boot/boot-menu.b
> >map=/boot/map
> >delay=20
> >vga=normal
> >default=Linux
> >image=/vmlinuz
> >       label=Linux
> >       read-only
> >image=/vmlinuz.old
> >       label=LinuxOLD
> >       read-only
> >       optional
> >
> >Any thoughts on how to get this to work?
> >

> OK, that looks good. I don't have the history of this thread in front of
> me, but if I remember correctly, when you try booting off the hard drive
> without the rescue floppy, you get a bunch of numbers across the screen.

Yea, although I would be happy if I could boot off the floppy.

> In that case, it looks like you may just need to rerun lilo to reinstall
> is in your mbr. Just run "lilo" and you should see a message like "Added
> Linux*". Then reboot ("shutdown -r now") and hopefully all will be well.

This is the output lilo gives:

Warning: /dev/hdb1 is not on the first disk
Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old

However, it still doesn't work.  After the screen goes blank this is the
output I get (when I try to boot off the hd).

MBR

L 01 01 01...
01 01 01...
 01 01 01...
01 01 01...
.
.
.

Hmm, this seems different then before.  I thought it was displaying 48 not
01 before.  Anyway, do you have any thoughts on how to get this to work.

Thanks,
Scott MacMaster