Re: [SOLVED] Lilo & Descriptor Checksum Error

Kevin McKinley wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2003 08:36:33 -0700
Brian <debian@rurnt.com> wrote:

/etc/lilo.conf
-----------------
boot=/dev/hda3
root=/dev/hda3
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
label = Linux
read-only
---------------------

This told lilo to put the boot loader in the partition boot record for hda3.

If you want lilo to boot the machine, you should change the first line to
read:

boot=/dev/hda

then run /sbin/lilo.

Kevin

This fixed it! I had to erase one tiny number and now it boots with kernel 2.4.18.

I imagine that it'd be tough to anticipate every user's partioning scheme in writing the newbie howto, but perhaps you could tell people to before they start do a fdisk -l to list their partitions and make note of what they are called. I get:

 Device  Boot
/dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 /dev/hda3 *

and lilo.conf wanted boot=/dev/hda instead of boot=/dev/hda3

I can't say I truly understand why it works that way yet, but perhaps you do and could explain to newbies what to look for in the above information in order to answer LILO's questions more intelligently. I have to say the most daunting part of the whole process were the questions about LILO at the end because you've been warned you may screw things up and not be able to boot anymore. Of course, the mere fear of that probably helped cause it in my case!