Re: Need mutt explanation: "alternates"

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 06:14:09PM -0400, kenneth dombrowski wrote:
> I posted a misleading set of alternates here (yesterday?) which I
> had gotten from some .muttrc on the net & thought I had tested, but
> didn't work. I hope I didn't confuse you

I in fact found that posting, that thread, after posting the top article
in this one. So I in fact took your advice and modelled my own .muttrc
entries just as you recount below...

> what I had posted was multiple
>
> set alternates=xxx@yyy.zzz
> set alternates=aaa@bbb.ccc
>
> lines. Maybe I lost a '.='-like operator somewhere in my many edits to
> that file(?)

... and when I did this I didn't catch that it wasn't working right.

Sounds like a natural mistake to make. It would certainly be nice if
Mutt's alternates worked the way the "alias" entries do. It would be
easier to create the setting and easier to read a long time later.

> testing it now, it in fact was only working for the final 'set
> alternates' defined. Instead the example in thread
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200305/msg03951.html
>
> should have read something more like this, though this is an overly
> simple regexp that will allow for some inaccurate $alternates:
>
> set from=kenneth@ylayali.net
> set alternates=(kenneth|kdombrowski|kld|ken|lists|webmaster|ebay)@(ylayali.net|nyc.rr.com|etc.tld)
> set use_from                # always add a From header
> set envelope_from=yes       # try & derive envelope Sender from From
> set reverse_name            # return mail from the address it came to
>
> My apologies if I confused anyone with my error.

Accepted and forgiven ;-).

> I hope the OP of the original thread sees this..
>
> Kenneth

I hope so too. Anyway you really helped someone -- me -- in a major way,
by posting this correction, and I thank you heartily.
--
See my OpenPGP key at https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050
GnuPG public key fingerprint  | "Only when efforts to reform society have as