Re: Samba refusing to let uses connect

On Monday 26 May 2003 07:57, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i've got this small samba problem to which google can't seem to give
> > me the solution. The fact is samba was configured/working properly but
> > since an apt-get dist-upgrade, there seems to be a little problem. valid
> > users can't seem to access their homedirecotories anymore,
> > /var/log/log.smbd contains the following error message. So what is an
> > idmap, how do i create one, ....
>
> when windoze users cannot do anything on the linux box via samba,
> it usually means samba isn't quite configured properly
> 	- i suspect your smb.conf and binaries got updated/changed ??
>
> 	- make sure you have run smbpasswd  for each windoze user
> 	- make sure you have run smbparm and other test apps to verify
>  	  its config
> 	- make sure your ip# and ranges correspond to your LAN
> 	- post your smb.config file if you want detailed help
>
> > [2003/05/26 07:12:29, 1] sam/idmap_tdb.c:db_idmap_init(331)
> >   idmap gid range missing or invalid
> >   idmap will be unable to map foreign SIDs
>
> haven't seen that puppy before
>
> c ya
> alvin

- - binaries got updated (apt), config file didn't change
- - smbpasswd is run for the testing user, the user can print without any
problem but cannot access share files
- - smbparm, never heard of it (nor has apt) , where can i get it ?
- - ip ranges work, printing works, only file access doesn't seem to work
- - samba config file, but I doubt you'll get any wiser of it ( i did some greps
to strip comment to make it a bit smaller).  afaik nothing changed but the
timestamp of the file indicates it might have been changed yesterday (by apt
probably)

[global]
   workgroup = NIRVANA
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   load printers = yes
   invalid users = root
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam guest
   local master = no
   domain master = no
   wins support = no
   wins server = 10.0.0.1
   dns proxy = no
   name resolve order = wins bcast
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   obey pam restrictions = yes
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories