Need mutt explanation: "alternates"

Hi Debianistas,

The advice I need is seemingly not explained, but only briefly
referred to, in the Mutt documentation (`man mutt' or
/usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz).

A mutt variable (a variable mutt knows about, that might be typically
set in one's .muttrc file) named "$alternates", is apparently how to
tell Mutt that you are the same person in several variant forms. What I
need to have explained to me is whether this comes from a file (and that
file's path is what "$alternates" is to be set to) and what the format
of that file is supposed to be.

In replying, it is requested that you please not assume that I ought to
have been able to know this because, of course, everyone in the known
universe has at one time been an admin of 'sendmail' (I have not; I use
Postfix).

  TIA.
--
See my OpenPGP key at https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050
GnuPG public key fingerprint  | "Only when efforts to reform society have as