Re: HDD quality [WAS: RE: Where to buy a PC without Windows? (UK)]

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:05:15PM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Just out of curiousity.  Is it worth it to get a SCSI hard drive now?  I mean,
> is there enough selection of drives and mobos with onboard SCSI to make them
> available at a good enough price? (I ask because I am looking into buidling a
> new machine in the near future).

I would say so - definitely...

HDs seem to come in sizes of m * 2^n; for IDE HDs m is often 10 and
for SCSI HDs 9 seems to be common. I've found that at least for small
values of n, SCSI HDs seem to be available for 50-75% more than an IDE
HD with the same n. (You will also find similar spec drives, or even
the same drive, being sold for 300-500% more. www.dealtime.co.uk is a
useful way to avoid this sort of nonsense.) Make sure you check out
the data sheet before you buy a drive so you know what you're getting.

SCSI controllers... not sure what you can get built into the MB. PCI
cards seem to start from forty pounds or so in the UK (excluding those
that only do 8-bit SCSI) up to a couple of hundred depending on
capabilities; again check www.dealtime.co.uk to avoid getting
seriously ripped off. I'd recommend hunting for second hand cards.
Before you buy any card, new or secondhand, google for its exact type
number and read the data sheet. Capabilities vary widely, and there
are still plenty of cards being produced new that only support
relatively old versions of SCSI.

SCSI drives tend to have faster spindle speeds than IDE, so the raw
transfer rate between platter and head, which tends to be the limiting
factor on sufficiently large file operations, is faster than IDE.

For smaller operations, the SCSI bus protocol is much more economical
with processor time than IDE, and the drives seem to be more
intelligent at caching. The result is that responsiveness is improved
even if you compare a slower SCSI bus with a faster IDE one.

SCSI drives are able to transparently remap the data from a block
which is becoming hard to read onto a clean block, which is good for
reliability. The number of such mappings can be checked by reading the
grown defects table with scsiinfo to provide an easy means of seeing
whether the drive is on its last legs.

Because a SCSI bus can support up to 16 devices (including the
controller) it is easy to string together a large number of secondhand
drives to get cheap capacious storage. I like to buy them in pairs and
set them up as ext3 with external journals, each drive of the pair
holding the external journal of the other drive. This is faster than
the conventional ext3 with the journal on the same device.

If you want to do hardware RAID it is said to work much better on SCSI
than IDE, especially as regards hot-swapping and/or the "unplug a
drive and see if it still works" test.

The disadvantages of SCSI are that it is undeniably more expensive,
and that while it is possible to plug any SCSI drive into any SCSI
card and it'll work, to get the best performance out of the
combination it is necessary to do some research (unless you are in the
fortunate position of being able to spend unlimited money on
top-of-the range kit). I find it is useful to ignore all the
Fast Wide SCSI Ultra Enigma jmre ghry because those terms are often
used very "loosely" for marketing reasons: it's better to dig into the
data sheet for the raw figures on bus width and transfer rate, and
whether this is achieved with active or passive termination, SE or LVD
etc. It is still not unknown to find marketroids' dirty fingerprints
in the raw data, so be prepared to be confused!

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons