Re: can't get the java plugin to work in mozilla [galeon]

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:54:51PM -0500, Kent West wrote......

> What works for me is the following:
>
> Go to http://www.blackdown.org and got to Download, then JDK-1.4.1 (not
> "debian"), then i386 (assuming you're on an i386 box), 01, and then
> either j2re... or j2sdk.... If you need the stand alone appletrunner or
> you plan to develop Java apps, you want the j2sdk; otherwise if you just
> want the runtime environment (plugin), all you need is the j2re....
> You'll need to get the gcc2.x version, or the gcc3.x version, depending
> on which version of gcc your Mozilla was compiled with. I think that if
> you're running Woody, you'll want the gcc2.x version; if Unstable, then
> the gcc3.x version. If Testing, I dunno.
>
> Now that you've got the file, "chmod +x" it and then run it as root. I
> don't remember if it installs Java, or just unpacks it into a directory.
> If the latter, I'd move the directory to /usr/local.
>
> Then make a symlink in your Mozilla plugins directory. The command on my
> machine went like this:
>
> ln -s /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so
>
> After that, Java shows up in Help/About Plugins.

This worked well for me too in getting java to run in Mozilla.  But how
about Galeon?  For the life of me I cannot find the plugins directory
for Galeon.  I suspect it probably is an alias to the Mozilla plugin
directory, but I haven't found it yet.  Would appreciate any tips.

Note I'm running unstable and using Galeon 1.3.4

Thanks
Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner