can't get the java plugin to work in mozilla

I went to the plugin spot at netscape and looked up the java plugin for
mozilla, clicked on the button and it said that it installed succesfuly.

the problem is that it does not seem to know it is installed or it is not
working. mozilla does not have it registered in the about plugins(my flash
plugin is) and I cannot load any web appets.

does anyone have any ideas or experienced similar problems? if so what did you
do?

thanks,

Jeremy