Re: [Very OT] Pigeons [was :Re: your mail]

> That's humans' fault for genetically engineering them by selective
> breeding. The wild rock dove, from which common pigeons are descended,
> is a shy and quiet bird.

Maybe true, but unfortunately it's not those who live in towns...

> > they stink,
>
> ?? You must have an unusually sensitive nose then, I can't smell a
> pigeon sitting on my windowsill... OTOH if I bury my nose in a
> pigeon's plumage and inhale I think the smell is great.

Well, everyone has his own idea of what smell he likes, and what not. OK, it's
not the pigeon itself stinking, it's what it leaves everywhere around, and
the microorganisms living in it.

> > and they
> > are the only animals I know of, that raise their breed in their own shit.
>
> Actually, they don't. There may be droppings all around the nest from
> the general habitation of many pigeons in that space, but the nest
> itself is kept clean.

OK, but these droppings all around look like if I were right.

> > If
> > I had a gun, I would shoot every single of them...
>
> Good job you haven't got a gun then...

Even if I had one, I'm 100% sure I would not do it anyway. I know the problem
we have in towns is not the pigeons (I would not mind some 100 of them), but
the ill-minded people feeding them, instead of nature doing its selection
job.

> > PS.: Yes, Usually I like animals, and birds, too...
>
> Excellent. Try studying pigeons... set up a video camera to watch a
> nest, or something. Hand-rearing chicks is very rewarding.

I'll let you the pigeons, and get a cat for me ;)

joerg

PS.: In fact, pigeons *can* be useful:

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1149.html
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/