Re: What's going on with "testing"?

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:57:33PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> On 21 May 2003 05:40:53 -0500
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

smip

> Thanks. So if I do this for a held-back package and get something like -
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   kde: Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
>                 kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
> E: Sorry, broken packages

I also had this problem with a further message that the difficulty might
be packages that had been held back.  I solved it by purging kde as I
prefer icewm anyway; kde has too many bells and whistles I never use.

As to the comment that us pedestrians should stick to stable, there were
times when a package I needed was not yet available in stable so I have
had one computer running testing for over a year now and have run
apt-get dist-upgrade regularly.  It was only on May 9th of this year
that the above problem appeared.  Until then apt-get dist-upgrade ran
with never a hitch.

Tom George