Re: your mail

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 16:45, Mike M wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 May 2003 20:12, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > > Any restrictions to observe if coming from US?  Are they better
> > > to arrive from a non-US source?
> >
> > hehe...
> > And I thought the cold war was finished !!!
>
> Putting encryption software on a CD and mailing it to someone you
> don't know could be the first step in violating a federal law in some
> places on this planet.   The person receiving the CD could forward it
> to a country that is restricted from such software by the sender's
> country, making the original sender a possible conspirator in this
> scenario.  The US has laws regarding the export of encryption
> software.  Other countries may have similar laws.  I believe that
> officials in these countries are more prepared to follow up on such
> transgressions than in the recent past. A sincere act to help could
> backfire.  Ignorance is no defense in these matters.

After reading your interesting arguments (which I agree and believe are
true) this question comes to my mind.

I believe my country (Iran) is in the list of countries which US
restricts exporting such software to. But, encryption software is
bundled with every GNU/Linux distro, and all the Iranians (including
me) can download these software and use them. I wonder, according to US
law (which I am unfamiliar with), are users of such software in these
countires, violating any US rules? What about the distributor?
--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri