Re: What's going on with "testing"?

stan <stanb@panix.com> writes:

> A week agog apt-get dist-upgrade started wanting to remove things I need,
> so I swaped to apt-get upgrade, thinking that would help untill whatever
> was hapening got straightened out. However not only has the problem not
> gone away, now "upgrade" is holding back huge qunatites of packages (80+ on
> oone machine).

Well, the "hold back" behavior makes sense; it can't upgrade those
packages without installing or removing something else, which it won't
do on a non-dist upgrade.

> What's going on?

I want to say that a couple of packages got forced into testing
(python2.2 and libvorbis0a come to mind, but I think there are others)
because several things depended on them directly or indirectly, a
small number of packages conflicted with the newer versions but
weren't being updated, and so were holding everything else up.
There's been a push to try to make testing a little more current, and
so packages that other packages depended on were pushed in, allowing
more things to move into testing as well, even though they broke other
packages' dependencies.

	-- Abra Mitchell