Re: What's going on with "testing"?

On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:34:48 -0700
Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:02:02PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > So what should the ordinary not-terribly-expert user do, just keep
> > doing apt-get upgrade as usual in the hope that it will eventually
> > sort itself out?
>
> No, you should actually learn the difference between the two upgrade
> targets, and then use the one appropriate to the circumstances.

The problem is knowing when the circumstances are appropriate,
particularly when others report problems  with some of the held-back
packages.  Also, often some packages will survive a dist-upgrade, i.e.
continue to be held back. So maybe life isn't as simple as you imply.

> Simplistic examples, but you get the idea.

I was not unaware of this.  The problem is knowing what the wise strategy
is.

> Stuff like this does not "sort itself out", and it does not "go away".
> It's the way things are supposed to work.

Some people have suggested that packages are held back because they need
something that hasn't made it to testing yet.  This has been suggested
often here.  The implication in this is that if the latter appear then the
others will install.  This may be wrong, but it's the kind of thing people
say.

> Sorry, but this is one of my pet annoyances with people who think they
> should be running testing or unstable.

Sorry you have such a short fuse.

- Richard.
--