Reasonableness of mandating use of putty

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 06:36, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> > [snip]  If you can't make putty and
> > ssh work for you, you probably need to find an environment more
> > condusive to computing.  I'm not ruling out switching jobs/schools
> > with such an environment change (at least when the economy produces
> > some jobs to move to): If they're anal enough not to let you do what
> > you need to do to get the job done, it's probably not a good place to
> > work and/or you may be able to quit and claim hostile employment.
>
> Frankly, this attitude drives me crazy. I *like* my job. I have no
> interest in quitting. And nobody's refused to "let me do what I need to do
> to get the job done." For the record, that would be you -- suggesting that
> telnetd not be available, since at the moment that's what I need to get
> the job done.
>
> I'm looking for an OS that lets me make the decisions, call the shots, and
> do what I want and need to do -- certainly not one that tells me to adjust
> what I need to do to match the ideological positions of its proponents.
> That OS is debian linux, absent the high-and-mighty "if you can't do it my
> way, quit your job" silliness.

However, if an ssh client *can* be run off of a single floppy, without
touching the HDD, then it is incumbent upon the SysAdmin to mandate it's
use, in order to protect the network.

Carrying around a floppy disk isn't that much to ask of someone.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |