Re: telnet vs ssh [WAS: Re: Dropping telnetd and rsh* for security reasons?]

I employ a small army of undergraduate research assistants, all of whom
are fundamentally nontechnical. Their job involves coding texts (usually
letters to the editor, sometimes other texts) along thematic lines. They
do so by telnetting into a stripped-down debian box that only runs a perl
script that does the coding. The perl script, in turn, selects from and
updates a PostgreSQL database on another host (which does not run
telnetd).

The crux of the matter is that these assistants telnet in from arbitrary
places to do their work. It would be a significant pain to teach them how
to set up PuTTY or Secure CRT on every machine they might use. I'm
comfortable with the (rather minimal) security risk posed by letting them
telnet into this isolated box.

The principle, too, seems important: the reason for dropping telnetd would
be to protect users from themselves. Why should debian be in that
practice? Warn us, sure, but don't take away options just because you
think they're bad for us.

ap

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu