Re: make-kpkg

On Friday 16 May 2003 01:03, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> Here's an excerpt from section 4.1 of the newbiedoc, which explains exactly
> how to do the avoiding:
>
> "You can avoid the need to worry about initrd by ensuring that you compile
> directly into the kernel (not as modules) support for your boot hardware
> and root filesystem. If the hard drive you boot from is IDE, compile IDE
> support into the kernel. If your root filesystem is Reiserfs be sure
> Reiserfs support is built not as modules but directly into the kernel."

I do not grok Linux at the same level you do.  The kernel config has a lot of
options for IDE and ext2 is not precisely listed as ext2.  Trial and error
got me through, but I had to start reducing the size of the compile because
it was taking about 1 hour to compile each trial.  That's more invasive than
I wanted to be and I don't think that's what people first using make-kpkg
will want to do.  (For me, it worked out perfectly because this is exactly
what I wanted to do - eventually.)

The newbie doc did not work for me in the end - and I did try hard by running
it several times and starting over completely when I realized that I made
mistakes.  It's the best user manual on make-kpkg that I've found, however.
I also think it's well written.

I think it may need the --initrd option worked into the document.  I'd also
like an expanded explanation of eliminating initrd.  I would also drop the
"newbie" and call it a mini-howto.

I've already recommended to the author that his work should be made available
on debian.org since there appears to nothing on the topic there. I wanted to
discuss these two problems here so I could take back some useful comments to
that author.  As usual, the contributions are outstanding.  The biggest
reason I use Debian is because of this list (and apt).
--
Mike M.