sid upgrade today & now nothing works

Well, I'd just been thinking recently how uncannily stable unstable has
been. Today I did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade & something has
gone seriously wrong. Judging by the dates in /var/cache/apt/archives it
looks like last Friday was probably my last upgrade

After the apt chores were finished I started X with 'startx' & happily
went about my business for 20 minutes or so. I had my usual instance of
mozilla on one desktop, xawtv was running, & 1/2 a dozen gnome
termininals were doing their things when the x server instantly shut
down. It left me with a message to the effect of 'lost connection'

I did a 'startx' again and was just beginning a message in mutt when the
xserver froze. It didn't crash this time, but froze pretty hard.
Alt-Ctrl-Fn, Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc all did nothing and the Caps Lock &
Scroll Lock lights were just blinking at me (this is a vaio pcg-fx370k),
after a couple of minutes I tried the power button and that did work.

The auto-fsck failed to fix everything so I ran it by hand answering yes
to everything and rebooted. Now I'm getting segmentation faults with
nearly everything.. lftp, apt-get update almost works (some gzip errors
"stdin: invalid compressed data--crc & --length" errors then segfaults,
apt-get upgrade reports 11 packages were successfully updated &
downloads them, but segfaults at installation, and 'startx' fails with
"Fatal server error: no screens found". For awhile 'man' was dying with
some groff error, but that seems to be better now. cvs segfaults on
update...

I would probably lose next-to-nothing as far as data goes by just
re-installing, but would rather not spend the time on it if the
situation is salvageable. I think most of my problems are due to the fsck,
but is there a known problem with some super-vital package I can either
revert to an earlier version or avoid the latest of when I reinstall?

Is X in sid crashing anyone else's computer just this week?

Is there anything you would have me do to try & track down where the
problem originally came from?

I know there's been discussion of it, but did anyone ever actually make
an auto-md5sum checker for system binaries? or some other cool tool
that'll get me out of this jam?

Ack! I just did an 'su' to try 'dpkg -i' on some of the newly downloaded
packages and I get a syntax error on the line 1 comment in
/etc/bash.bashrc.. can a comment have a syntax error?

And the dpkg -i failed too. looks more+more like a good time to
reinstall.. so far mutt & ssh are the only things I tried that work.

Be Aware, Sid-users!
Kenneth