Re: dual booting

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:21:03PM -0700, Stephen A. Witt wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, james leclair wrote:
>

> > Hello. Starting to get comfortable with Debian and am now looking to setup
> > a dual boot with W2K. I will be starting fresh with a 20GB HD. So, I assume
> > I would install windows first. Is this correct? Also, what reccomendations
> > could anyone make regarding my linux partitions? 10 GB of this drive will
> > be committed to windows, so, of the remaining 10 GB what should my deb
> > partitions look like? Thanks all!
> >

> Yes, Windows thinks its the only thing in the world and must be installed
> first. So you must create a partition for it first.

Is this really true or just a self-perpetuating myth?
I'm not much good at getting anything to work at all on
my Debian/Windows machine, but - at least with slink and
potato - I had no trouble booting with hda1=swap, hda2=
Debian and hda3=Windows.  Perhaps because it's a small
hard disk (1,2 GByte)?